View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Personally, for the money, I would consider a Prius Plug-in, Focus Hybrid or even a Lexus Hybrid.

The cost of the Volt is high and the $7500 tax is good but not great.

The LEAF is an issue since it is a totally electric car. If you run out of charge you are out of luck. There is also a problem with battery memory and the batteries are not made for high heat or cold. They are basically worthless in northern climates. At 0 degrees Fahrenheit they will lose half of their battery capacity.

If you have to get a Volt or LEAF, I would go with the Volt but it would be a "have to" situation. Hopefully, battery technology will improve in the next few years to make the all electric car more affordable and practical.

BTW: You will save a lot on gas but be prepared to see your electric bill significantly increase. However, your overall cost will be less than a hybrid.

Take care,
Mike
We ran the costs on the electric bill and compared it to the charging station about the corner. Then compared it to the $3.93 per gallon we pay for gas in California and even charging at home we would save money.

I won't buy another Ford product I had issues with an Aerostar plus I hate the Focus. My mom was rear ended by one on the street and I was rear ended on freeway by one. I know that shouldn't be a reason to disregard a car but it feels like bad luck. Lexus probably not in my price range. But I will check out the Prius Plug-in. My only issue with the Prius, and here is the girly side coming out, it's so ugly.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994