View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Admiral

For sure! They think that way because in years past you could do just that. I remember booking people 2 days before cruises and getting great rates. But that has all changed over the years. One executive I talked to told me the figures no longer supported continuing that practice. He said the overwhelming numbers of those who purchased last minute cruises were seniors. And historically, seniors don't spend alot of money while on the ship, which is where cruise lines make the majority of their profits.

I've always thought it would be better to sell a cabin at any price than to have it go unsold, but evidently they don't think that way anymore.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!