View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default I really want to do this...need advice!

hello!

I am a might-be first time cruiser
Basically, I really need a vacation. I haven't taken one since starting a job last July, and pretty much everyone else at my work has...coworkers in my "cohort" have been to India, going to Europe for three weeks, traveling in Asia, everyone's going everywhere it seems! I need something both exciting and relaxing and restorative. Love my job but I've been working hard for 13 months. My parents will be going to Hawaii on Monday, and I'll be taking care of the house while they are gone. I did this when they went to the Bahamas in March.

Time for me to go somewhere! I'm long overdue for a break.

My top top top choice capital D capital V Dream Vacation is this 15-day Princess Cruise from San Francisco to Hawaii in November (I'm looking at the one that leaves on the 10th, but there's another at the end of the month). It just sounds perfect. In addition to my parents, a lot of coworkers are going to Hawaii and well, I'd love to. Haven't been in ten years. I have a long list of pros that outweigh the cons of taking this cruise, but I guess no one here needs convincing that this is a fun thing to do!

Still, I have tons of questions.
I live 45 minutes from San Francisco, so that eliminates the need for flights and hotels near the port— that saves money everything considered? It's a good price for what I get out of it. 15 days for ~$2,300. I asked my friend who went to India for the same length of time and he said his trip was $4,000 something, and this is certainly cheaper than flying to Hawaii and staying in any halfway decent hotel for two weeks. I need to know though, is Princess a good line? Pictures look nice, and I don't need a large room at all. I think the interior staterooms would be totally fine..are they?

Now, if a friend or family member wants to go? Great! But I'm not counting on it, and I'm really not opposed to traveling alone. In all likelihood, if I do book this, I would be on my own. 26-year-old female. I reason that it seems like it would be safer to be on a closed boat with a lot of people near at all times than in some city in some foreign country by myself, but I do want to double check-is that the case?

Food: I am gluten-free vegetarian, it looks like they can do special diet requests. I will be honest, I'm in treatment/recovery from an eating disorder and I usually don't go anywhere without protein supplements. Are things like energy bars okay to bring on board? I can make do without them, it's always better to have some though.

Seasickness? I'm not all that worried because I take anti-nausea and anti-reflux medicine every day as it is, so I have effective remedies for queasiness. I want to know if it's worse than I'm imagining it could be...

I assume because they have cruises to Hawaii in November and December that the weather isn't terrible that time of year? I won't expect it to be sunny and 75° every day, but it is bearable?

I know there are a multitude of activities, if I do go through with this I'll have a questions about recommendations I think it would be really good to get out there and meet people. Part of recovery is also adapting to various dining situations, so this could be a healthy sort of test for me.

Is this doable, or would I be getting into something totally risky? First cruise, 20-something traveling solo for 15 days? I really want to do this, I'm not an expert though. There might be challenges I can't foresee, so I'm asking for advice. I certainly can't afford regular cruises, I don't think I'll have another opportunity to do this any time soon...so I wouldn't want to hold myself to a few shorter warm-up cruises before a dream one like this. Honestly, I've wanted to go on a cruise since I saw Titanic when I was ten, and it became my favorite movie. It's probably not meant to inspire a desire for sea-going...oh well. It did.

If I take the November 10th, it's three months from today. Is that enough time to plan this out? I haven't paid anything yet, but I did "hold" the reservation for a day. It does say "If the deposit due date falls on a weekend, booking will not cancel until the next business day." So I think I have until Monday for what I have held, but it also doesn't look like it'll sell out completely in the next few days. Still, I should do this soon if I'm going to.

Please let me know of any thoughts, recommendations and advice. Thank you!
Sponsored Links