Thread: tipping porters
View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Admiral

OMG. Mike is that with tips???? 69,000?? Around here, that is a pretty decent wage that people with a university degree are more than happy to make. If they are making 69K plus tips, I'm sorry but that is absurd. Like Krunch said, tipping in Canada is much more reserved. We generally leave four bags. I doubt my DH tips $20 bucks. He always handles it, I will have to ask him what he does. Now that I think about it, I might recall porters saying $5 per bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I give them $5.

The "interesting" thing is that the porters are all part of the Longshoreman's Union and many do the baggage handling for extra money.

The average wage for a Longshoreman is around $69,000 a year. This is according to U.S. Department of Labor. http://www.dol.gov/owcp/dlhwc/NAWWinfo.htm

The cruise line employees are not allowed to touch your luggage until it is on board the vessel.

I really don't like tipping these people but do so out of custom and an irrational, or maybe rational, fear that my luggage will end up in the water or sitting at curb if I don't.

I agree that tipping can seem to get a little out of hand.

Take care,
Mike

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999