View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
From New Orleans to Capetown via Detroit and Amsterdam elasped time is 28 hours and 15 minutes...good news is my travel buddy is using her Delta miles to upgrade us to business class (so my seatmate stories may be better).....AR gave me great advise about photo safaris, so due to vacation time constraints, we decided to forgo it. and after the Capetown International Jazz Festival we will take the overnight train (sleeper car, business class) from Capetown to Johannesburg (26 hours) and fly home from JNB via ATL is 22 hrs 40 minutes

My friends from South Africa whom I met at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival have open their home to us during our visit, so we are very excited to experience a native (they are White and lived thru Aparthied) perspective... I have purchased several Louis Armstrong LP's as a house gift for them

I will miss my yearly Jazz Cruise to do this trip but it will be worth it
Wow that will be some trip. You will even have stories to tell us about the worst person to sleep next to on a train. I heard a rumor Business class is nice. But they don't allow troublemakers like me in the nice section. However, I did use the business class bathroom one time. The flight attendant was very displeased. But the food cart was blocking the economy bathrooms and I'm too short to jump it. I wonder if your host will cook or take you out for traditional African food. That is one of the few ethnic cuisines I haven't tried. I love trying different cultures foods. Did you have to get any special vaccines before you travel? Like for Typhoid or Hepatitis?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994