View Single Post
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
George Washington had slaves, as did Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin. Jesse Helms is about in the same age group as those guys.
This may be the strangest two sentences I've ever seen here or most anyplace else. The same age group? Well, yeah, if you mean they're all dead. I'm trying to extract the deep meaning that must be in there somewhere.

Are you saying that owning slaves is (or should be) somehow tied to an age cohort? Are you saying that Jesse's world view in the 20th century should be equated with the founding fathers' in the 18th? Especially when we know that the Declaration of Independence only got signed after a "deal was done" over slavery, which was a notorious moral tug-of-war even then? Are you saying that Jesse should have owned slaves?

You can deny the overt racism in this country all you like. Many others do as well. Some really believe there is none; others are simply hypocrites.

That aside, my own belief is that your views on racism are about as accurate as the views you've expressed on personal finance. Which is to say, not very.