View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:16 PM
Admiral

AOL tanked for one reason and one reason only, and it was a self-inflicted wound that I've never been able to understand: they completely missed (as in ignored) the broadband revolution. When the world was going broadband they took some sort of warped pride in still being the dialup company. The communication world of the last couple decades does not let mistakes like that survive unpunished.

Once the novelty of getting on the net wore off, does anybody remember dialup fondly? Didn't think so. And that's the story of AOL.

I've never opened a twitter account, have no desire to, probably never will. I am on facebook but I hardly ever post. I scan it occasionally to see what the family and a few close friends have to say--if anything. I'm not technophobic in the least, but I simply don't see much value in them.

Moreover, for many people, the addictive nature of the whole milieu is a blight on society and civil discourse and communication. If somebody offered to surgically implant those phones so that they would send the calls and texts and posts directly to your brain, I think a lot of people would line up at the hospital door.

They have made an already rude society more rude; they have made an already shallow society more shallow; they have made an already overcommitted society more overcommitted. They have short-circuited and dumbed-down thought, word and deed, and they have robbed people of their think time and their family time. They are fundamentally evil.