View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Admiral

You missed my point - or perhaps I didn't clearly explain.

Everyone marks up - I get that - I have no problem with that. My point was that the $30 bottle that royal sells is probably a $5 bottle in a US liquor store. But that $5 US liquor store bottle of wine is a $20 Canadian (Ontario) Liquor Store bottle of wine. So while the US passenger may be 'getting ripped off" $25; I (a Canadian) am only getting ripped of $10 bucks - so it is not quite as bad for me. I can swallow a $10 price markup for a bottle of wine on a cruiseship. While you some may thumb their nose at that $5 bottle wine; because we're used to paying $25 for the same bottle here. It's not quite a "premium" wine .... but its not a cheap bottle here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
I don't know of any restaurant that sells wine to diners at the price we can pay in a liquor store. Of course, there is mark up. Why shouldn't the cruise line mark up the prices? They are a for profit business. It isn't a hobby.

I buy certain wines for home consumption for $25 but see them on local restaurant menus for $49 or more...... why not? They are in business to make money. No one makes us order it.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991