View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Where the heck is Kuki, anyway?
I'm around, but have taken the summer to fine tune my golf game, and deal with the well being and affairs of my mother whose dementia is worsening, and writing my weekly Blog, and preparing to get things in order so I can head down to Arizona next month to escape our winter months.

Because I own property in the United States I may have more direct interest in the goings on than those who don't. I bought property after the crash in 2008, and I know the values of those properties has been appreciating the past two years at least. Figures I've seen suggest a 20% increase in 2012, and another 18% increase in 2013.

For certain, if the government remains as dysfunctional as it is acting, and defaults on it's debts, those values will certainly plummet. If that happens to me, it happens to every homeowner in the United States.

It's pretty obvious that the country in general is as dysfunctional as the government. No one listens to anyone else. Everyone talks, and no one listens. Just like in "Open Debate", the same folks argue to try and make the same points. No one "on either side" changes their minds because of anything said. No one accepts the "other sides" ideas as a possible solution, they just stick to their point of view.

We think it's dysfunctional, for instance, that in the Federal Senate a majority vote isn't enough to pass a bill through the Senate. Seems like democracy, which is so highly thought of, is tossed aside by that policy.

To attempt to answer LuAnne's question... I think generally the world sees the U.S. as a dysfunctional family, not specifically on the issue of health care.

To address health care... I'm not sure outsiders really understand what the health care system was before the passing of the Affordable Care Act. I personally don't. I understand it's an employer based system; where the majority of people have had their coverage supplied by their employers.

But, on the negative side, I understand that coverage varies, and there are limits on how much life time expense is covered, so that if you get really sick, eventually you may not be insured. And there are policies which do not allow people to be covered who have pre-existing conditions.

Those are very basics, and I admit to knowing little more detail.

On the flip side, I have no idea why a person or company is not allowed to purchase their insurance anywhere they want. Makes no sense that a person in living in Arizona can't buy their coverage from a company in New York, for example. If there is a private insurance system, it makes no sense that citizens shouldn't be able to buy it elsewhere.

On Obama Care... despite all the gyrations necessary with the dysfunctional government systems, it became law (though I do understand most of it is not in place yet).

Now this latest dysfunctional mess was started because one party set out to defund it, so it couldn't function. It seems to me that if it's law the party opposing it needs to go and get themselves elected, with enough representatives to change the law... if they want to change it back or to something else they want.

If it goes into law, and is as bad as they claim, they should certainly have no problem getting elected on a promise to get rid of it.

But to say that it's simply a law they don't like, and to attempt to do anything they can to make sure the law is unenforceable, including refusing to pay the debits of the country is incredulous.

If every governing body could simply have a few people decide they don't like a law, so can hold it up then you have a boondoggle. What if a minority of people in a city don't like traffic lights, and have the ability to turn off the power to those traffic lights. Mayhem on the streets ensues.

The Affordable Health Care act is a law "democratically" put in place. If it fails, you have to get elected to change it. But it certainly seems foolish and unjustified to simply decide it won't work, and set out to sabotage it's implementation. Fact is, until it's implemented no one knows if it will be good or bad.

It is of course a total embarrassment that the gov't web site set up to begin the process is such a mess! That should have never happened!

I do notice that the Republican party, though still talking about how bad Obama Care will be, are attempting to change their message, and looking for a way out of the boondoggle their method of objection has created for them, now saying it is necessary to negotiate reducing the debt.

They now seem to be staggering from pillar to post looking for a way out.

So, yes, no doubt the reputation of the United States has been damaged, but I don't think the world is laughing. It's worrying that the democratic process in the Republic of the United States of America seems to be in shambles.