View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
AR - your post sounds so judgmental. You say "hearth and home" is important to you - but you only have disdain for the people who live in the "Wal-Mart" world -- as if they have a choice and pick Wal-Mart over "Whole Foods" and "Tiffany's"

Where is your empathy for the people who have to work at Wal-Mart to support their families?
Wrong again. We've lived in the same house for 42 years and the closest Wal-Mart is some 12 miles away. That may not seem far, but the route happens to go through some of the most congested roads in the area--day or night or weekend. What's more, it's in an area that we almost never visit for other reasons (ironically, there is a Tiffanys near there, but we never go there either). Plus we hardly ever go to Whole Foods because their parking lot is so small that it's a PITA.

There are other stores that are much closer and more convenient.

So, as is so often the case, you added one and one, and got three. We don't go to Wal-Mart simply because it's inconvenient, and unless they build one closer will never be convenient. It's a matter of proximity.

Kat is also right that I'm no fan of their way of doing business, but that has nothing to do with the people who shop there or those who work there. There's no disdain for them at all. Once again Paul, foul ball.

There is a Costco nearby and we shop there often. Do we get points living in the "Costco world?"

And anyway, my view on the matter extends to any store or stores that compete to be the first to suck up the Christmas bucks. They're free to start the nonsense in July for all I care. I just won't be there. I am notorious for doing all my shopping on Dec. 24 and/or online.

Oh, and here's my empathy for those who work at Wal-Mart and many other places to support their families: I'm for a huge increase in the minimum wage. How 'bout you?

Last edited by AR; November 13th, 2013 at 06:19 PM.