View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Admiral

That's more like it.

Back around 1990 I was headed for Florida for a business dinner. Around 4:00 I got on my Eastern Air Lines flight for the trip down. At this time Eastern was bankrupt, on the skids, and it would not be long before it shut down for good. I was in first class, and just as we were about to leave the captain announced that the plane was broken and until they got the right combination of parts, mechanics and luck, we wouldn't be going anywhere. I dozed off for awhile.

When I woke up I looked at the itinerary sheet that corporate flight departments gave you in those days. It said that we were to have "snacks," so when the FA went by I asked her about it. "Get up and come with me," she said. We walked together to the front of the plane where there was a galley and she started throwing open those metal doors behind which the food was stored.

Empty.

"Does that look like a snack to you?" I shook my head.

A guy sitting in the first row said, "Dominos delivers to the gate. I'm on this flight a lot and we do it all the time."

The cockpit door was open (kinder, gentler times) and the FO stuck his hand back with a $5 bill and said, "I'm in!"

Somebody went out to call it in (no cell phones in those days), and they did deliver, and we sat in first class eating pizza, waiting for them to fix the plane.

Before much more time went by, Eastern Air Lines was a memory.

Last edited by AR; November 16th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.