View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2013, 01:59 PM
First Mate

Well, it is sunny and to be about 45 degrees F today. Sure beats last night's weather. We were in the basement for a while with the dogs. We were unscathed by the weather. Our two daughters (and their husbands) are out of power but otherwise okay.

The Catholic church (about two miles from our house) was destroyed by a suspected tornado.

This is how the church normally looked.

This is what is left! From what I have seen on the internet, the Holy Family shrine survived, the St. Barbara's statue survived and the votive candles (lit by parishoners for prayer, remembrance, etc.) remained lit after the storm. The tabernacle still needs to be located; it was buried in the rubble. It needs to be found so the Eucharist is not lost. The good news - no deaths or injuries!

The town is tiny, many a couple of hundred of residents, if that many. The area around this town is rural. The area around us has hit-and-miss damages - a shed up in the trees, a machine shed leveled, trees and power lines down, etc. But, again, no deaths or injuries in the area. Truly a blessing.
Please keep this church family in your thoughts.

We attended this church for several years, however, we now belong to a neighboring parish in a nearby town. Our kids went to school in the nearby town and it was just easier to attend church services there. Lots of related activities.

DH had a difficult time getting to work last night as several surrounding roads were closed due to the storm. He did eventually make it to work.

This was too close for comfort for me! Hope we do not see this type of weather again any time soon!

I hope all CM have a good day and a good week.