View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Familiar Face

Default Lifeboats Fall From 2 RCCL Ships

I was shocked to recently discover that two RCCL ships each had a lifeboat break free from the ship after a supporting cable reportedly snapped. The first affected vessel was the Legend of the Seas, on November 25, and the second, the Allure of the Seas, on December 5.

For me personally, I am quite concerned about this situation. What would have happened had this situation taken place during a real emergency while a fully loaded lifeboat was being lowered over the side? One might also speculate as to just how safe is it to walk beneath lifeboats, while they are tethered aboard ship.

To be fair, I suspect a situation of this kind is not limited to strictly just RCCL ships. However, the more important question for me is who is the most appropriate jurisdiction for an industry-wide monitoring of this kind of safety issue. As for the Legend of the Seas incident, it was local authorities in the Bahamas (where the sip is registered) who granted the Captain permission to continue the cruise from the Dominican Republic, minus the affected lifeboat. Since the country of registration for ships is largely based on strictly tax considerations, is it acceptable, from a passenger safety perspective, to also permit that nation to make such a crucial decision?
Sponsored Links