View Single Post
  #4 (permalink)  
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:24 PM's Avatar is online now
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,752

To answer your question; you are correct in that children traveling with their parents only need an original birth certificate (not a copy) on closed loop cruises from the U.S. to the Caribbean, Bahamas, Mexico, etc. Parents need either a valid passport or an original birth certificate along with a government-issued photo ID.

This is the way it is right now - nothing has changed. We just did this two weeks ago with our daughter and her son, neither had passports, but did have their birth certificates.

Concerning the passports when going to Mexico, it's referring to flying or driving into Mexico, not cruising.

However, as others have pointed out, I also suggest to my clients that it's always better to have a passport. If you should ever have to leave the ship in a foreign country due to an emergency and have to fly back into the U.S., you have to have a passport. If you don't, then you'll have to go to the local U.S. consulate and get a temporary passport, which is alot of time and hassle.

But if you don't want to go to the hassle and expense of getting a passport, then none is required in your situation.

Travel Agent/Cruise Specialist w/13 yrs exp and 48 Cruises on 11 cruise lines! Favorites: Paul Gauguin - Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises - Europe; Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America - 12-nights Baltics & Russia; RCCL - 14-nights Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America - 14-day Alaskan cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days Hawaii w/7-night NCL cruise; Oceania - 25 days in Asia; more than 3 months touring Europe by train. And many all-inclusive resorts!
Reply With Quote