View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandajones View Post
UK news channels are reporting that a passenger has died after the Marco Polo was hit by a large wave in the English Channel.
It is reported that the wave smashed a window injuring several passengers. 2 pax were airlifted from the ship but sadly one died later.

Last night we had winds touching 80kts in the Channel, not sure what the official category for that is as the highest I could find on the Beaufort Scale was 12 at 64Kts.

P&O (Carnival UK) have kept 2 of her ships (Oriana & Oceana) docked in Southampton for the last couple of days to let the storm pass, and hopefully they will be sailing into better weather later today.

I hear also that the Eastern Seaboard in the US has suffered very heavy snowfall with loss of life, so our thoughts go out to their families and those suffering.

Alan & Katrina
Thats a very sad story. Ill bet those poor people never in their wildest dreams ever thought anything like that would happen when they were planning their cruise.Idont know about the Beaufort Scale but I do know 80KTS winds are Hurricane force winds.