Sorry for taking so long to respond! Thank you both for your information and advice.
After some consideration we've decided not to take the course. We're cruising with friends and feel like the schedule would cut too much into our time with them. We'll probably see if we can get our friends to do a Snuba or Discover Scuba excursion with us. In the future we might look into the possibility of doing the book work and pool dives at home in Baltimore but finish the open water portion of the course while cruising!