View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Admiral

My parents and my favorite aunt around the corner were near apoplexy when Elvis came on the scene and I started listening to him, Jerry Lee, Little Richard, and all the rest. Lots of lectures, which usually ended with "In our day we never had. . .(you fill in the rest)."

Even in seventh and eighth grade I was already into audio production, and although I liked those early rockers, I also liked a lot of other music too. So I edited together a tape of a half dozen songs from "their day." Some of them were. . .Cole Porter's classic "Love for Sale" ("who's prepared to pay a price for a trip to paradise?"); Rodgers and Hart's "Bewitched" ("vexed again, perplexed again, thank God I can be oversexed again. . .horizontally speaking, he's at his very best"); "Let's Fall in Love" ("Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it"). . .and a few others.

When they went after me again, I listened patiently, then presented my little golden oldies concert.

That was the last lecture.

A few years later, when I started playing music on the radio, I used to marvel at all the borderline censorship that was going on. The Stones had to do a radio version of "Let's Spend the Night Together" and change the title lyric to "Let's Spend Some Time Together." And there was a Lou Christie song called "Rhapsody in the Rain," about making love in a car during a storm, that sent the Catholics into orbit, which of course only made people want to hear it more and boosted sales through the roof. I seem to remember there was a radio version of that too, with censored lyrics. We used to kid that "radio versions" were the best things that ever happened to songs, because it made the kids buy the record to hear the "good stuff."

Ever it was, and ever it shall be.

Last edited by AR; March 20th, 2014 at 05:25 PM.