View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyhoney View Post
thankyou for that have replied I hate to bother you all but I have just a couple of quick questions..
I have prepaid my gratitudes but was wondering who this is too? do I need to tip my porter or the waiter etc. I am from Australia and do not want to offend anyone by not tipping them as tipping is not essential here...
Also seeing that you have cruised this before I was looking at certain excursions but was wondering if there was anything in particular that stands out.. I am doing the glaciar hlicopter, the white pass railway but tossing up wether I should do the Yukon part as well, I think I have also decided to do dog sledding, lumberjack jack show, and misty fjords and wilderness explorer.. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated

thankyou cheekyhoney
Would just add one thing to the other comments about clothing. Be sure to have a waterproof shell type jacket that can be worn over sweatshirts or t shirts depending on the temp. We did the misty fjords and it was very wet and also quite cold ( in May ). Thank heavens for that waterproof jacket! My opinion on umbrellas, they get in the way and block the views of everyone else and it can be very windy as well.

We did a 5 glacier float plane that flew over 5 glaciers and landed on a remote river where we had a grilled chicken/fresh salmon dinner in a lodge across the river from a glacier and it was out of this world. This was Juneau, I think. It remains my favorite tour of all time.

We also did the White Pass Rail in combo with a tour by van ( independent ), that followed the same route across the pass from the railroad, all the way to Carcross, I think it was. We had lunch there and there was a museum, dog sled rides, etc. We then transferred to the railway for the trip back. I guess I am glad I did the railroad once, but IMO, the scenery from the van was spectacular, much more so than from the train. If I ever went again, I would book the van tour roundtrip and skip the train.