View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise planner View Post
The one article talked about the minor economical impact of the stadium, if any, and that a commercially viable entity would be better for the city, so I can only wonder why they don't build a couple of nice hotels and a shopping center. Not only would this benefit the city, but the thousands of cruisers that arrive almost every day would be able to stay near the port and have a place to spend some money. Everybody wins. But hey, what do I know. Problem is, that makes sense and as we all know, we can't have any of that because, in the end, it's all about politics.

Pete
This is just what Fain and the other cruise lines want. A soccer stadium does almost nothing for the cruise lines. Hotels and retail would have a heavy, positive impact for the cruise lines.

The "traffic" issue is basically a non-issue. There would only be about 20 games a season and they would be on a Saturday night. This would not impact traffic for cruise ships that usually arrive in the morning and leave in the late afternoon. Passengers are on board by 3:00 or 3:30 p.m.. Long before game traffic would start.

Miami is in "Stadium Shell Shock" after the Tropicana Stadium debacle. Stadiums are a hard sell and Beckham is going about it right by using private money vs. tax dollars to build the stadium.

If they build along Biscayne Blvd. It would be a nightmare if American Airlines arena and the soccer stadium had games on the same night. It's a madhouse, in regard to traffic, when the Heat play. Add a soccer game on top of that then you really have a traffic problem. This would be of minimal impact to cruisers but would greatly effect the downtown area.

From my cruising perspective. I would love to have a couple more hotel options near the port but, if I was a Miami citizen, I would be in favor of the port for a downtown soccer stadium. Also, I believe soccer will go over big in Miami.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me