View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I just noticed the number pad on a computer keyboard is opposite what it is on a telephone - where 1 is at the top instead of the bottom. Why?
Quite simple: the number pad matches the number pad on adding machines, pocket calculators and every other device ever built that was designed to input math. You're much more likely to input arithmetical strings on a computer than you are to dial a phone. Accountants and bookkeepers understand this perfectly and are completely comfortable with the layout.

Quote:
I am one of the world's fastest two-fingers typists, but there certain things I would change about the layout of a keyboard because it would be easier - but even worse: I keep making the same errors and have to fix them constantly. For example - Which do you use more, ? or / - so why is the ? a shift key? Which do you use more? or - so why didn't they put on a non-shift key?
Irrelevant. The ? is right where it always has been since I learned to touch type in ninth grade. Using the shift key is part of typing. You just do it. It's not even a conscious thing.

Quote:
But here is my nemesis - the effing ' sign. I keep hitting ; when I type a contraction and I can;t seem to stop doing it. I fix these 1000 times/day - and it;s making me insane....
Keep workin' at it. You'll catch on eventually.

Quote:
Also - what is with the caps lock key? How often do we really need that compared to how often we have go back and retype entire paragraphs just because it was on by accident?
If you were a touch typist this would never happen because you would never look at the keyboard. Instead you'd be looking at the screen all the time and would never type more than a few letters in upper case by accident.

The overall answer to your woes is simply that the basic keyboard was not designed for two-finger typists, no matter how fast. And remember that technically, when it comes to determining speed, there are penalties for errors which, from what you said, would make you a pretty slow typist on a net basis. The keyboard was designed for touch typists and has worked quite well in that respect forever. Touch typists generally don't even think about the things that drive you nuts, because they're non-issues.

My own gripes are about the ergonomics of smaller keyboards, from laptops on down. They're flat with small keys. I put up with my tablet when I travel, because the overall size tradeoff is worth it since I don't do any serious writing on the road. Just e-mails and notes. Typing on telephones? Out of the question. Won't do it. But when I actually sit down to write, it's at my desktop with the large screen and a proper keyboard. In that environment the mechanics never get in the way and the words go from my mind to the screen.