View Single Post
Old June 29th, 2014, 04:06 AM
Welcome Newcomer

This thread is very interesting, and I thought I'd add my own story of attempted romance on a cruise ship. It was December 1991, and I had just turned 18. I was traveling on the Carnival Cruise Lines ship called the Festivale.

The ship employed a lot of British female dancers, and one of them caught my eye. I enjoyed her performances, and I interacted with her a little bit when she was running some of the ship's activities. But these interactions were brief and business-like. I needed a way to get her attention on a personal, romantic level.

Towards the end of the cruise, we had what was called a "Party Under the Stars". I asked her to dance with me, and she said that she unfortunately was not allowed to do so because she worked on the ship. This was disappointing, to say the least. I looked around, and all the attractive women I saw were ship's dancers. I heard that the ship's resident magician (a guy whose stage name was Phil the Pretty Good) also was asked to dance, and that he, too, turned down the request.

Fast forward to 1995. I went to an online forum for cruises, and I asked about this so-called policy of not allowing ship's employees to dance with the passengers. The people on that forum were very surprised to hear my story. They told me that, on most cruise lines, entertainment staff ARE allowed to fraternize with passengers (whereas service staff like waiters are not). I then asked Carnival's front office about this policy, and Carnival confirmed that entertainment staff ARE allowed to fraternize with passengers. My theory is that the Festivale's captain instituted his own policy of no fraternization, disregarding the front office.

Unfortunately, this dancer (and all the other dancers) were introduced to us by their first names only - which is kind of weird since the waiters and busboys had name tags identifying their first AND last names. Because this was the pre-Internet era, I did not realize that, in the future, I would be able to use the Internet to look people up. So, I did not bother trying to find out her last name (or the last names of any of the other attractive dancers). Therefore, I have not been able to google these dancers or find them on Facebook.