View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2014, 03:50 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Nice recap for reasons for seating regulations,; it brings up the question about regulations on cruise ships. Are there any restrictions that you know of.

Sadly there are none.
The challenge of many obese passengers sailing has not been officially recognized by the cruise lines, but the cruise line employees are painfully aware of the serious possible safety issues.

When a cruise ship is designed and built, stability is a very important part of the design equations. We must ensure that a ship can successfully and safely carry a specific amount of weight under the most extreme conditions.

Since the late 1800s, ship designers and builders have assumed that the average cruise passenger - and ALL his/her luggage - weighs a total of 100 kilos. That's 225 pounds.
I don't know about you, but I rarely see a cruise passenger who weighs less than 225 pounds WITHOUT any luggage.
Is it safe to assume that the average cruise passenger carries on about 100 pounds of suitcases, carry-ons, purses, camera bags, computers, etc.?
Doesn't seem like very much until you multiply that by 5,000 passengers.

Could it be the case that a large cruise ship is carrying a HALF MILLION
POUNDS of weight that is unplanned and unaccounted for? How does the ship handle all that extra weight in a hurricane, or when encountering a rogue wave?

Then let's have a look at the lifeboats. Every one has a stenciled sign at the entrance, advising maximum occupancy. Many claim to hold 150 passengers. That might work with 150 Chinese passengers, but if you are trying to squeeze 150 North Americans into that boat, good luck. In actual tests with real passengers, we have been unable to fit more than 100 passengers into a lifeboat rated for 150 passengers. The passengers are just too large.

So if you are on a ship that has 16 lifeboats with 150 pax capacity each, and that ship happens to be sinking, there could be 800 passengers without a lifeboat seat. I hope they can swim - and I hope the water is warm.