View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Familiar Face

Default Interesting thread!

I realize this is an old thread given new life, but it is something that Iím passionate about.

I work in the entertainment industry in FL. Iím typically a good tipper (especially at a place I frequent). When I relocated to South FL, I found that many places (including my place of business) include an automatic ďgratuityĒ to a bill with varying levels of MANDATORY! The service is some of the worst Iíve ever experienced. I donít know that Iíve ever felt the service received warranted the amount added to the bill.

I typically tip at a higher % than what is automatically added, but I will not add to a bill that has already been added to. I have a server that works days at my job and evenings/nights at another place I frequent. He and Iíve discussed how I leave only whatís added, but am very generous when adding it myself. Even he admits he would treat me better at his night job.

I know that suggests that a server works harder to gain a customerís favor when the customer chooses! But, I also realize that I am just one person and not representative of the various cultures that make up the SoFL market. Iíve seen that many customers leave no tip if it isnít added to the bill.

How do you fix that delima? I realize that fixing your auto grats at the purser may be better than nothing, but does one single passenger (or so) on one single trip really influence a crew member enough to change their work ethic established by many voyages worth of complacency? Does leaving a few $ís each day to a steward or dinner service actually stay with that person, or is it pooled?

I donít think I have ever been happy with my service when Iíve ordered a drink that was part of my package...certainly never 18% worth of a ridiculously inflated drink price...

I guess on my next trip, Iíll focus all my activities to 1-2 bars and waitstaff. Perhaps after a few days of tipping extra, they will recognize me. But, with everyone on a free beverage package, will they have time for me?

Any crew want to weigh in on this one?

Is there a particular cruise line that does something better?