Thread: Ryndam
View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2001, 08:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Ryndam

I have no experience with that particular room, but I have been on the Ryndam, and she is a great ship. That being said, she is not one of the newer ships, and handicapped accessability is not as good on the older ships. I know this for a fact, as I travel with my mother who is restricted to a wheelchair at this stage in life. (The last time I was on the Ryndam she was not yet wheelchair bound.) So, don't plan on ADA perfection, but other than having to wait a little bit for a elevator empty enough to get a wheelchair on, you should do fine. The older ships are ok, just not as easy to navigate as the younger ships. I think I remember reading that the handicapped cabins only slept two, but I'm really not sure. I would suggest you call HAL. With regard to the wheelchair transfer for the tenders, I know it is on the Statendam, as they sent us a letter once we were on board advising they needed advance notice to use it. At the time, I think it was the only ship with that capability, but they were planning to outfit others. My guess would be they would start with the Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and then go to the Volendam, Zaandam, and gradually go thru all of their ships, from newest to oldest. Have a great trip, if you decide to go!