View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:56 PM
First Mate

Default Re: NCLA ferry service

No kidding? I hadn't hear about that. Seems like an odd time to be launching that business. Maybe some of the voters don't like flying. Still, there might be some wiggle room for NCLA - depending on the terms of their charter. I imagine they would charge in the neighborhood of $250/pp-pn. There are various consumption taxes they would generate and an 11.41% HI hotel tax that might be applicable. A catamaran day trip should go for around $100 and attract a different clientelle. The state could profit from both markets.

A catamaran sounds interesting, but not as appealing to me as a cruise ship. You don't save on a night's lodging, food or entertainment. Unlike a Napali catamaran charter, there's not much scenery and the ride is a lot rougher than on a big boat. I'd think it's more likely for a cruise ship to draw the tourist trade. I'll have to check out the new ferry service next time I go, though.

Found a link for the Hawaii Superferry. It sounds like it's designed mainly for transporting cars and cargo, so again, I think it addresses a different market.

Post Edited (09-14-04 20:04)

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise