View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2005, 11:40 AM
MARAPRINCE

Default Re: Re: NCL's New Tipping Program

I have no problem with that!

Prior to NCL's new tipping (service charge) program IT DID HAPPEN ON THE 9/10/01 N. SUN'S TRANSATLANTIC VOYAGE THAT A SUBSTANIAL NUMBER OF PASSENGERS UNHAPPY WITH THE SERVICE COMPLETELY REMOVED THE TIPS FROM THEIR BILLING.

My friend and I always have tipped and will continue to tip. I'm only pointing out that it has happened before where the majority of passengers on a particular sailing paid ridiculously low prices to book the cruise because NCL sold off large blocks of cabins to cruise brokers who charged rates equivalent to the 3rd or 4th person rates. These same passengers were also given upgrades and cabin credits and expected to pay nothing more on board for services rendered to them. Part of their justification was "I never ate in the dining rooms or used room service. I took all my meals in the buffet area so why should I pay someone for doing nothing for me." They were also "incensensed" that NCL would not let them apply the cabin credit to pay for the tips. So the last sea day they ran to the shops to use up the cabin credit. And by the way, they also removed the tips from their statements. They left the ship owing nothing for a 7 or 10 day cruise!

It is my understanding that because of actions like this NCL has decided to implement this new policy starting in May and has been advising future passengers of this change. If they do not like the new policy, they do not have to book with NCL. Cruises are no longer all inclusive and I don't think NCL has tried to give anyone this mistaken impression.

Both my friend and I are VERY GLAD TO SEE THAT THERE WILL BE A UNIFORM TIPPING PROGRAM IN PLACE AND THAT THE VARIOUS CREW MEMEBERS WILL GET THEIR FAIR SHARE.

Having such a disparity in what passengers paid for the same cruise almost caused a riot when passengers who booked directly with NCL found out that they paid almost 3 times as much as those who booked on the internet. Once passengers learned of this, the Latitude and Future Sales rep had long lines of irate passengers and didn't sell very many new cruises.