View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2000, 11:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: Favourite Princess Ship?

Enjoy everyone's comments...only sailed Princess once so far. Grand Princess this past May. Really liked it and will sail Princess again. Friends got married in St. Thomas at Bluebeard's Castle which was wonderful...it was a toss up getting married on the ship or off----just the two of them and us as their witnesses. They got a better package which was less expensive and as it turned out I think better than what the ship was providing for 4 people. The 2 rolls of film that the photographer took were such wonderful photos for them. Plus we took pictures onboard the ship in wonderful locations prior to leaving for the wedding in our formal clothes too.
I really thought the room service worked amazingly well on a ship so large. The horizon court was the best buffet service I have had on a ship. Food was always freshly prepared and served in smaller trays so it never was blah. Plus I thought the variety and selection was higher fare than most buffets. The two alternative dining rooms we ate in for lunch two times while at sea. Entertainment was good, loved the various pools which were never super crowded.
I think the dining rooms were just ok. My preference is to have the larger more glamorous type multi level dining rooms that RCI has been building on their ships. Just makes the dining experience more fantastic for me. I realize Princess made the concerted effort to give it "a small ship feel" but I was not that impressed with the dining rooms. I also missed the ship shape program that RCI has which is geared to involve as many passengers as possible which provides and promotes more inter-action. The cruisersize(?) program on the Grand was too geared to the workout room and higher level aerobic activity level and not well promoted. I enjoy trying to earn and collect those 10 shipshape dollars for items only available by earning them. :-)
Other than that Princess did a super job and we would sail her again. The staff and crew WERE friendly and accomodating and not what we had read in various bulletin board posts. We went on the cruise kind of expecting a crew that wasn't going to be very friendly and found the opposite which was nice.
Keep those comments coming - it really helps to pick out the next ship or cruise line to sail.