View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2001, 07:51 PM
globalcruiser

Default Transpacific Cruises

I'm an experienced cruiser, but a transpacific itinerary from North America to Asia is something I've always wanted to do (I've already done the transpacific to Hawaii). I also want to visit Siberia (Russia), where these cruises generally call at.

In 2001 I've found two options:
1. Regal Princess, 19 nt., Vancouver to Osaka, Dpt. Sep 23 01
Since the itinerary doesn't appear to be online, I'll be happy to post it here:
Day/Port
1 Vancouver
2 At Sea
3 Juneau
4 At Sea-cruising Glacier Bay
5 At Sea-cruising College Fjord
6 Ancourage (seward)
7 Kodiak
8-13 At Sea
14 Sapporo, Japan
15 At Sea
16 Vladivostok, Russia (Siberia)
17 At Sea
18 Pusan, South Korea
19 Hiroshima, Japan
20 Osaka, Japan (Disembarkation)

I've done the Alaska ports, except I've never been to Kodiak. There seem to be better ports of call in Alaska than Anchorage, but I guess the ship must stop them to stock up for the long journey across the ocean. The idea of navigating the pacific is attractive, as well as all the ports on the other side. Again, Siberia is a place where I really want to go, as is Pusan and Hiroshima (I've been to Osaka before).

2. NCL is repositioning their Norwegian Wind to Asia, and the journey is slightly longer than the Regal's. It has more days at sea (13 rather than eight), only one Alaska port, and disembarks in Beijing rather than Osaka.

But I harbor reservations about NCL on such a long journey. I've never sailed the Crown or Regal Princess, but I have sailed long voyages on the Royal Princess, and Princess does a good job of handling long voyages. We're not that into organized activities, but they can be good for a change of pace. We've also sampled the bigger, newer Princess ships and overall we like the line. We haven't sailed NCL. I don't think they have too much experience in these long, long voyages, so again I am not sure about sailing on them.

As for the Regal, any comments on this ship? Again, we've never sailed on her. Any suggestions for the cabins? We'll likely get a balcony cabin, or maybe a suite or mini-suite, since it's such a long cruise with many days at sea.

We haven't yet contacted our travel agent for prices on either, but I did a quick check of NCL prices on their web booking engine on their site. The top suite aboard prices around $300 a day, which is great value in my book (but long repo cruises tend to be cheap). A regular suite with balcony can be had for under $200 a day. I don't know how Princess prices in this regard.

Any help you can provide would be great!!
Sponsored Links