View Single Post
Old April 28th, 2001, 11:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Automatic Tipping

Hi Lynda...

We recently cruised on the Grand Princess (April 8-15) and we chose traditional dining as did about two-thirds of the passengers on that cruise. Automatic tipping applies to <u>all</u> passengers whether you are on traditional dining or Personal Choice dining. They charge each person's cruise account $6.50 each day to cover the tips for all dining staffs including header waiters and maitre d's.

I was initially opposed to the automatic gratuity system and had cancelled it from my account as soon as I boarded the ship. However, during the week, I had an occasion to have a long discussion about the subject with Maître d'Hôtel Beniamino Acler (the head of all the dining facility staffs). He listened patiently and politely and totally understood my position, particularly in regards to traditional dining. However, after hearing his side of the argument, he convinced me that perhaps I was hasty in my criticism. I went back and reinstated auto-tipping on my account the next day.

Since we were on traditional dining and had the same waiter and assistant waiter all week who gave us excellent service, we gave them each an additional cash tip above the auto-tip they would receive.

Bob "MacTarheel"

<font face="Comic Sans MS" size=+2 color=blue>It's more than a cruise... It's duh LUUUUUV Boat!!</font>
<BGSOUND balance=0 loop=1 src="http://www.88ok.com/leslie/IFoughtTheLaw.mid" volume=-500>