View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Default Re: Do you think my flight arrives too late?

This is the first time I am cruising so I am not sure when I made the flight reservations if I made them too late. We will be arriving at Fort Lauderdale at 2:15 and the boat leaves at 5:00.

Your flight should be fine. Most delays are well under an hour, so you'll still have plenty of time to get to the ship.

If anything is going to get you into trouble, it's referring to the vessel as a "boat." In maritme usage, a "boat" is a vessel that is not seaworthy.

I was going to go on, but I better repeat that so it will penetrate. In maritime usage, a "boat" is a vessel that is not seaworthy.

Another practical way to understand the distinction between a ship and a boat is that ships carry boats (the ship's tenders and lifeboats, for example, are correctly called "boats" because you would not want to go to sea in them).

Referring to a ship as a "boat" is a major insult to her captain and her crew. It's every bit as unacceptable as referring to a black person by "the 'n' word" -- and justifiable grounds to leave a passenger on the pier. Please break the habit of using that term in reference to the ship before it gets you into real trouble rather than after!