View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2001, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: gifts to take for tour guides, etc.

Hi, Barb ...

How about several members of the Democratic caucus? Now that I've got THAT out of the way ...

This may sound silly, but here's the best gift we've come up with for thank-yous ...
Jelly Bellies. The chocolate is so good in Europe it would almost be an offense to give choco and it doesn't always travel well, especially in summer.

Tipping isn't allowed on the Radisson fleet, so we always take gifts for staff. One year a friend and I made a gazillion brownies, knowing that the kids would probably welcome something home-made. (That's what happens when two moms with a total of eight kids go cruising together.)

Another time we took US Olympic T-shirts.

However, a tour guide probably is past the age of T-shirts and brownies.

When we were invited to the Hotel Europe in St. Petersburg, I took the concierge who had been wonderfully helpful a goodie bag of things totally American. I can't remember what all was in it, but she adored it. I know there was a little flag which she carried around, waving it at the rest of the staff.

How about Washington, DC tote bags? One of the things I've noticed in our travels is that Euros seem to LOVE logo-type goods, preferably something from the US.

It's a tough call to get something that's not gender-specific. I don't think it would be possible to go wrong with a bottle of wine from the DFS on board.

Good luck in your search for the perfect gits !!!

pamda -- CruiseMates First-Time Cruisers Editor and admirer of thoughtful people