Thread: price drops
View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Beginner

Default price drops

Hello,

I am planning my first cruise next month and I have a question regarding a drop in prices on my cruise. When I booked last october, I was told by my TA that if the price drops we would get the lower price but that we could not be charged more than the price we booked at.

Now that my cruise is getting closer , I went online to read some reviews on the NCL Dawn which is the ship we are sailing on. I happened to find a website that was offering substantially lower rates than what I paid ,so I checked other sites and found the same on many of the sites. One site actually uses the same system called cruise-path to give quotes as the travel agency I am using and everything was the same except the price of the cabin , which was about 50 % less on the other website.

I called my TA to inquire and she said she would check with NCL. The response I got was they could not provide an explanation why other sites were offering lower rates and basically received a lecture on the risks of booking online instead of with a local agency. She said that the rate we have is still less than what is on the NCL website, which I believe are called "brochure prices" but I don't think anyone pays these rates.

I guess what my question is , whos price has to drop to get a refund, NCL brochure prices, my travel agency's or what. I am feeling pretty ripped off since I could be paying $600 less for my cruise or at least be in an oceanview with a balcony for the same price I am paying for my lowest level inside cabin. Oh my TA said I could get a balcony upgrade but it would cost me $400 more. I can't really tell if my TA is being truthful or just doesn't want to give up her commission. Do I have any recourse? My TA said I could call NCL myself, but will they do anything? I did call them once and she told my to call my TA and they should lower the price , but I am not getting any help from them. I doubt NCL will book many more cabins because of the War and new SARS disease going around, do you think they will give me a ship credit or at least an upgrade to a better cabin? I don't think you should be penalized for booking early , which seems like what happens

I know its not that much money difference , I guess it is just the point of it. If there is nothing I can do, I just want to get over it because its starting to put me in a really bad mood and I would have to ruin my vacation over this. Any suggestions?

Lisa

PS. This website is a wealth of information. Thanks !
Sponsored Links