View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2003, 11:37 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Need ideas for Christmas gifts

So sorry to hear about your husband. I hope you all have a wonderful time! I agree that money is the best thing to give to people. If you're on Carnival, they automatically add $9.75 per person per day for tips onto your bill. This covers everyone except the maitre'd. On top of this, we all tipped our waiter, assistant waiter, bar server, and cabin steward an extra $10 per person from each of us. If the service warrants it, tip well. I have to say though that we chose not to tip the maitre'd. We never saw him (we heard him for a few minutes on the microphone each night at dinner) and we couldn't really see what, if anything, he did for us. Maybe it was mean, I don't know. It just didn't seem right to tip someone who did absolutely nothing to enhance your cruise. All of the others that we tipped provided exceptional service and added to our trip, so they were rewarded well. I would think that they would greatly value money, since many of them send their money back home to their families. Hope this helps. and have a wonderful cruise!!