View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2001, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska Land Tour on Own

Most important is to get a copy of THE MILEPOST, a necessary reference for any independent touring. Anchorage hotels are in the $150+ range, B & B's $100+. I spend less than $30 /day through Independents, Payless etc. It is important to keep ckecking rates and make new reservations often. Denali requires at least 2 overnights there. It is a 5 hour drive there from Anchorage, All day shuttle to at least Eielson ideally Wonder Lake IF going mid August or later- too many "man eating bugs" in my opinion earlier. You would get on the Kenai Penisula via the Seward Highway, on to the Sterliing Highway if going to Homer. Kodiak trips are min. $500 per day per person. IF taking a cruise the only car rental company for a one way drop off is Hertz. Expect to pay in the range of $100-200 per day. I rent a cheap RT Anchorage car for all north touring and get the Hertz one way for only as long as I need it. Cuts down considerably on costs.
(this is a copy of an email I sent)

As for your tour recomendations- I strongly encourge you to consider independent travel as you will see twice as much for half the costs. Alaska is also no place to be on a fixed schedule without a car/ RV.