View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2001, 03:50 PM
HannaS77

Default Re: Do I really neeed a balcony?

We have been cruising Alaska once or more often twice a year since 1972. Back in the olden days the ships were much smaller than today( Island & Pacific Princess) and did not have balconys. In more recent times we have occasionally occupied a stateroom with a verandah also called a balcony when we received an upgrade. We would not pay for this type accomdation having experienced the following: the area is usually small and taken out of the space for the cabin; the area is quite often dam damp and wet from condensation; there are times you can experience days of rain; the area is often cold when the ship is moving; the large plate glass door and wall can make is difficult to maintain a satisfactory temperature inside the stateroom.

A balconey can be a nice viewing place when you are going around and around and around in one of glaciers.
We have never visited Glascier Bay when the weayther was not hot an sunny even though on the other days it may have neen colld or raining.

I cannot advise about Seattle since we always have flown from LAX or Palm Springs, CA. to and from Vancouver.

HannaS77
>
> My family of four (two teenagers) are considering Alaska in
> August. Is a balcony cabin worth the extra money? Our option
> would be to take an inside and enjoy $1000.00 more of shore
> excursions. Pros and Cons please.
>
> Also we would prefer to cruise out of Seattle. How does the
> Seattle itinery compare to the Vancouver ports. Would I miss
> much? It would be on the NCL SKY or the HAL Amsterdam.
> I have a wedding in Seattle following the cruise and am
> wondering if the drive from Vancouver is worth the time and
> expense for the different itinerary.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Deb