View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Balance: kayak v. native culture

Well, I could do everything but that would require an extraordinarily early retirement.

The cruise ends in Whittier. I had planned to take the cruise transfer to Anchorage for car rental purpose and then proceed immediately to Denali for a night and a full day/night. We could then decide how early to get on the road for a liesurely return to Anchorage and then spend 2 more days on the back-end to explore Anchorage.

I suppose we could adjust the schedule as follows:

Land Day 1: Disembark and find some way to get to the kayak locale. After kayaking find some way to get transport to Anchorage for the night.

Land Day 2: Rent car and travel to Denali

Land Day 3: Denali

Land Day 4: Drive to Anchorage

Land Day 5: Anchorage

Transportation on day 1 is concerning (plus the additional hotel jumping seems to make things less relaxing). Any suggestions on the transportation issue or on the various itineraries?

Your suggestion about the Totem Heritage Center is a possibility. How would you compare the experience there to Saxman? I spent quite a while studying socio-cultural anthropology so I want that side of things to be worthwhile.

What do you mean by planning the visit around events at the Anchorage Native Cultural Center? What sort of events do they sometimes offer? A quick look at their web site shows a schedule for just the winter.