View Single Post
Old September 12th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Best shore excursions in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan

I just got back from my Alaska cruise on the HAL Statendam and had a marvelous time. For Sitka, I would definitely recommend the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest. Take the early morning one as wildlife is most active. We were barely away from the sight of the ship when we got into a group of humpback whales. We also saw a whole "raft" of sea otters and bald eagles in the trees. Also, do a trip to the Raptor Center in the afternoon. Nice displays of the birds and some awesome trails around the center.

I do agree that the helicopter trip and glacier landing is an awesome excursion. I like it better by far than floatplane flightseeing. I did the "Pilots Choice" with 50 minutes flight time and two landings on the glaciers in Juneau.

In Ketchikan, I did the Neets Bay Bear Watch. That is a fly-in by float plane with a hike to see bears and we did see some. One hint too, this late in the year, winds can be a problem in both Juneau and Ketchikan. The two days before we landed in Juneau, all helicopter flights were cancelled. In Ketchikan, all Misty Fjords flightseeing was cancelled, but we went on as scheduled because we were headed a different direction.

Have fun on your cruise!

Post Edited (09-12-04 16:43)