View Single Post
Old April 26th, 2003, 09:42 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Ocho Rios - Peat Taylor? Dunn's River Falls??

Hi,
My family and I have done the Dunn's falls twice. Both times were great. Judging by your name- Snorkleman- I am assuming you are young and fit enough to enjoy the falls. Please give it a try and do not stay on the ship if you are at all athletic. The Falls looks like a piece of cake to climb but don't climb along with the crowd on the left side of the Falls. The first time we went we climbed on the left where people hold hands on the way up. It was interesting but definately not exciting. Three years ago we took our two daughters with us age 17 and 23 and we all decided to climb on the right side of the Falls where a few other people were climbing and it was not crowded. WHAT AN EXPIERENCE! FUN, BREATHTAKING at times and the best thing to see or do on the Island. My daughters still talk about how it was the hightlight of the entire trip. I agree to not using the ships excursion and take a taxi to the Falls. Do take water shoes. The pictures of the falls with people holding hands do not tell the whole story.
At times you cannot see where your next handhold is and you need to hold your breath and climb the unknown. Other times it is just a relaxing step walk. it takes about 45 minutes to climb it so it is huge.
The people are very pushy but I found them to be interesting and fun to talk to if you like to banter and joke around. My youngest daughter had the most trouble keeping the males away from her, but even she said she would love to go back.
Hope this helps.