View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Donna Hill

Default Re: Re: Baltic cruise notes

Hi Monty,

We sailed to those ports on 4/28/2003 cruise. Stockholm is very easy to see on your own, by foot. Have you checked www.frommers.com for highlights? I hope you don't miss Skansen. You can get there easily by ferry, and you cannot miss the ferries. You walk a blue line from the ship to the edge of the old town (which is so nice to explore by foot), and the ferries are right along the waterfront. It's about $3 U.S., and they leave every 20 minutes. The Vasa Museum is also on the same island as Skansen, and it is so great. It's better than the Viking Museum in Oslo! Frommers also has a walking tour of the old town that was just great. Stockholm was our favorite port, and it's very beautiful. (We didn't get to go to St. Petes or Helsinki due to the ice. I have a separate posting about that under the Norwegian Dream if you are interested.) We didn't go on the waterways of Stockholm tour, but I've heard that's fabulous.

Oslo is also very easy to see by foot, and we docked about 100 yards from the ferries that take you to the peninsula where the Viking Ship Museum is. It's a great museum too. It's small, so you won't need much time there. If you're really into that kind of thing, there are two more ship museums on that same island. There is also a folk museum on that island that is similar to Skansen in Stockholm, but Skansen is much better. We also did a historic walking tour in Oslo. I don't know what kind of shopping you like, but I wouldn't budget a lot of time for shopping there because we didn't think it was good. This might be a port for you to book an excursion to see some of the countryside because we wish we had done that. We went to the Resistance Museum and to the military museum in the afternoon, and they were both very good.

I hope you have a great time.

Donna Hill

> Hi Darrell,
>
> Only read your first notes from the Baltuc cruise, still need
> some input for Olso, Stocholm and Helsinki.
>
> We are going in June 12, 2003 on the RCL Grandeur of the Seas.
>
> We've hire a private tour guide by Red October in St.
> Petersburg and Tallinn, Open top tour in Copenhagen. walking
> tour in Oslo........but don't much about Stockholm and
> Helsinki.
>
> Thank you.