View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:44 PM
trixi

Default Re: August 27 on Royal Princess

Hey IMO, I did your cruise last July and had a ball. We did not take any of the ship's excursions. You might want to consider taking one in Cork and LeHavre. We stopped in Plymouth, not Cornwall, so I can't help you there. We were in Cork on a rainy Sunday and it was pretty bleak, very few shops open, however we did find a nice internet cafe. We enjoyed Cobh where you dock, very picturesque great shops right by the pier. If you must kiss the Blarney stone this is the port but make sure you take a morning tour. The people who took the afternoon tour had way too long of a line to wait in and had to leave. If you are into crystal a tour goes to Waterford.
Dublin, I am a librarian, so I had to go see the Book of Kells at Trinity College. After that we walked to St. Patrick's and just enjoyed the town. Great shopping.
I am so jealous you will be in Edinburgh until 11pm. Our favorite port. The ship's shuttle drops you right below the castle. We walked UP HILL to it, most took a taxi. Loved the castle we stayed there 4 hours and then just wandered down the royal mile. If you are into golfing a tour goes to St. Andrew's.
Hamburg was a surprise. It has been nicely rebuilt. We took a hop on/hop off tour. Found great restaurants but did not visit the red zone at night.
Amsterdam-took the shuttle into town, since everyone on the shuttle was going to the Anne Frank house the driver dropped us 2 blocks away. I had heard that the lines here could be 2 hours long. We got there right before it opened and got right in. Very moving. Walked to Rijksmuseum and VanGogh museum, took a canal boat ride and walked around town. Had to see the shops selling pot.
took the ship's shuttle to Zeebrugge, it lets you off right by the train station. we took the train to Brugge. What a beautiful city, very picturesque. Just wandered around the town stopping into churches and shops, took a canal boat ride. Bought lots of chocolate (trust me on this) had a great waffle, bought some lace.
LeHavre, we met another couple online and rented a car before we left the states. We drove to the WWII beaches and museum and stopped in Caen on the way. We had a ball but in hind sight we were very lucky. Traffic or car problems would have caused us to miss the ship. Next time I'd get to Honfleur. I used Rick Steves' guide books. Enjoy!