View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2002, 12:59 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Australia/New Zealand Help

Just returned Dec 15 from 3 weeks in Australia/New Zealand on Regal Princess. Cairns was humid and 90, Ayers Rock was dry heat and 90, and Sydney was beautiful and high 70s. Quite a bit of rain in New Zealand and definitely cooler in the south island, but I live near Seattle, so a little rain is no problem. We booked 2 extra days in Auckland, and could have done fine with one. The SkyTower is not to be missed. Beautiful views of the area from the top and you can even bungy jump from it, if you're so inclined. We passed on that. There is a Kelly Tarleton's Underwater World that was fun. Got to see penguins and they have a plexiglass tube peoplemover that lets you watch the sharks and mantas swimming beside you and above you. You can buy a bus ticket or tour tickets on the waterfront to get to Kelly's. Sky Tower is easy walking distance, just a few blocks, from downtown hotels. I have to tell you about a wonderful place to eat. We discovered it by accident, and then saw several fellow travelers coming in and saying the concierge recommended it. Named Lord Nelson's. Don't have the address, but we stayed at the Stamford Plaza and walked a few blocks up the street (away from the water) and it was down a side street on the left. Don't need to dress up at all, but the food was excellent. Huge steak dinner that probably cost about $11 USD. We ate there both nights. Don't know the rest of your itinerary, but if you'd like to e-mail back, I'll tell you what we did, or wish we had done. You will love it there!