View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2003, 12:09 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Thanks to the Brits.

Oh, come on Ron, the British troops, just as our troops, are doing what they are told to do, and from all appearances are doing it extraordinarily well. Just like everybody else of good will, I'm holding my breath that every single one of them will come home safely.

But just as the British people and many Americans, I refuse to confuse my feelings about these fine young folks with my feelings about the cause they are engaged in. I never understood why after Vietnam so many who were against the war took their anger out on the returning troops. I trust that will not happen again.

But the fact that 40,000 British troops are doing their jobs as ordered doesn't change the fact that the Brits as a whole, along with most of the rest of the people of the world, don't support the cause. Fighting and winning doesn't change that, nor should it. And being Americans, and owning the most spectacular and impressive war machine ever conceived, doesn't automatically make us right.

I have respectfully stood for the national anthems of many lands, and only a true boob would show the sort of disrespect Kuki describes. But the words of a pretty good journalist from the 1950's also hold true: "We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty." The journalist was Ed Murrow and he was speaking of the then junior Senator from Wisconsin, Mr. McCarthy.

Those who do not learn from history. . .

AR