View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Long down load but worth it

I'm a U.S. Army veteran and proud of it! In fact, of all accomplishments in my personal and professional life I look at my military service most proudly. It didn't make me an intellectual giant or an urban legend, but I learned more in those 3 years than my 7 years of higher education. More about discipline. More about reading & leading people. More about hard work and persistence paying off.
Real life experience, not theory.

When I saw the tribute posted Monday my first thought was one of pride and thankfulness for the men and women who lay it on the line for their country and who do so voluntarily. And I thought regretfully of those men and women who never made it back to wear their uniforms on Veterans Day, but who are spoken of with hushed reverence every Memorial Day. Then I began to read the negative comments about relatively petty matters like whose faces weren't shown in the collage, and the possible political implications of the whole posting, and then I thought, "Don't they realize that this was meant as a tribute for all U.S. military past and present, and now they're twisting it into a commentary on political correctness?" Where's the love?

Finally, while I don't mean to continue to beat a dead horse, I cannot help but wonder how many of the Americans on this board who helped to misdirect this touching (IMHO) tribute ever served in the U.S Armed Forces themselves? Being a veteran doesn't make you a better person, but it certainly can make you feel better about yourself.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas