View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:20 PM
CruisinK&J

Default Diamond Princess Review Pt.2

THE SHORE EXCURSIONS
First stop was Puerto Villarta. I had planned to shop on that 2-mile stretch along the waterfront. Keith became tired and wanted to rest, but he collapsed before he made it to the bench. I don't mind telling you I was scared. He said his legs felt weak and his knees were like jelly. People rushed to help him. We grabbed a cab back to the ship, and he had trouble getting in and out of the taxi. He slept about 2-1/2 hrs and seemed to be fine after that. But there were many people his age and older who did just fine.

We took a bus tour of Mazatlan. We hadn't been to any of these ports since 1992, so they had changed. Mazatlan has a population of 650,000 and a large contingent of Americans and Canadians who live there permanently. I did a bit of shopping while Keith sat.

I really wanted to shop in Cabo San Lucas which has grown a lot. As it was, I only made it to the Mercado. We took what was called an historic carraige ride. I wouldn't recommend it. The carriage was poorly maintained and the cassette, which was to have been the narration, didn't work. In its place, a live tour guide subbed who spoke poor English with a heavy accent and no one understood her. Keith had trouble getting in and out of the carriage. Stairs were impossible for him n the whole trip.

PHOTOGRAPHY
Sadly, because of his short-term memory loss, Keith didn't remember how to use his digital camera. I took very few pix with my 35 mm and I haven't developed them yet.

ENTERTAINMENT
We saw one production show called "The Piano" and two comedians in smaller venues plus a wonderful Flaminco guitarist. Also, we enjoyed a Dixieland quintet. So did an elderly couple who blissfully danced, and later, a toddler who "danced" and "led" the band. I guess everybody loves Dixieland.

OVERVIEW
Overall, this cruise was pretty much of a washout because we were so limited. And this was a simple cruise: no air travel and all its hassels. We really thought Keith would have no problems with this cruise situation. I graded Keith a C; he gave himself a D because he found anything physical to be so tiring. He has no energy, no stamina, and no endurance. He wanted to sleep or sit the entire cruise. We're still looking into an exercise program with the hope that it will strengthen his lower body over time. I really can't think of any kind of travel that wouldn't require walking. We can't afford to travel a whole lot, but even after 12 cruises, it pains me to completely give it up, or its shore excursions. I thought about a wheelchair, but haven't mentioned that possibility to Keith.

Questions? Ask away. End of review.

Judy
Sponsored Links