View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: For Those With Sons (or daughters) Going Off to College

My baby went off to college almost 20 years ago. We left early on a Saturday morning and came home very late that night. When we woke up in the morning, we found that our two younger daughters had packed any remaining clothes and personal belongings away and all but wiped out any trace of their older sister. Poor Christina, I think she felt like a visitor in her own home after that.
Just the reverse was true for the youngest daughter. When she went away to college and law school her room looked just like somebody was still sleeping in it every day. She graduated from college in 1994, law school in 1997 but her room looked just like she still lived in it until two months ago when we sent her all her stuff in a moving van. Considering she has been married for 2 1/2 years and had he own home for over a year I think we were very patient.
We took our first vacation (not even a weekend) without our kids when the youngest went to college. Dropped her off on a Monday, came home that night and packed and went away Tuesday morning. The kids freaked out for the whole week we were away.