View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2004, 05:17 PM
on_the_water

Default Re: ? for Staff and Crew re: guests

mermaid,

You're welcome for the info. It's no problem. The only way to learn things is to ask. I understand you must be freaking out a bit with so much happening, and so much uncertainty. That's a tough, but exciting, spot to be in. Good luck.

I've been in and out of the cruise industry for years. Most recently I was in for the last two years and just got out within the past few months. At this point I have no intention of going back, but who knows what the future holds for any of us. I certainly don't. Shiplife can be extremely fun, but it can also be a bit much to deal with at times. In alot of ways you're trapped on a ship for six months straight with nowhere to run and hide other than your tiny cabin.

However, yes there are lots of things that I miss about working on ships. Certainly all the people that I've met and grown to know so well. Most of them are still out there and when we do talk they tell me their latest stories of the crazy things they've done. I also miss the diversity that is on a ship. It was such a joy to be surrounded by people from so many different cultures and walks of life. There was always someone to talk to and always a story of a far away land that they've experienced. If you're open to the people and things around you, then you'll grow in so many ways.

Your relationship and asking me about shiplife is an ironic. That's one of the reasons why I decided to walk away when I did. Relationship are hard enough on land, and even harder while working in that business. They can be so amazing when you're working on a ship with someone that you're involved with. As you've somewhat experienced, everything can seem like a movie. You're constantly on the go from one beautiful place to another, and you can spend every night under the stars surrounded by the sounds of the ocean waves crashing against the ship. It's nice to say the least. However, staying on the same ship together is the hard part, and you're relationship is tested by all the time you're forced to spend apart. I was involved with someone on board and we spent every moment we could together, but only when we were working on the shame ship, and that wasn't always the case. We were constantly forced to be apart due to the fact that she would be on one ship, and I would be on another. It's tough to be forced apart. Cruise lines claim that they'll try and help their staff stay together if they can, and they will if it's convenient for them, but only if it's convenient for them. Many married couples end up seperated because it's hard to find ships that need to fill both position at the same time. After a while it takes a toll and it wasn't the type of relationship or lifestyle that I wanted. So that contributed to me deciding to walk away.

Now I don't say that to discourage you in your situation. Just to say be careful that you know what you're getting into. You mention the last five months have been difficult, well there will be many more months like that to come. I'm a nut and will chase what I want to ends of the earth, so I would never tell you not to go after this if it's what you think you want. Just know that it doesn't get any easier. It only gets harder to spend time apart from someone that you wish was always there. Good luck and have fun. Hopefully it will be everything you've built it up to be in your mind. I've seen crazier things happen.