View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Stop ABs booking disabled cabins

I would really like to see the handicap rooms have a bathtub/shower combo. On RCCL Monarch of the Seas we were booked into handicap room and it only had a shower, which should not have been a problem, except the water pressure was so great the shower hose flung out of my hand striking me in the face, knocking me down on my back. Shower hose kept flopping around, I couldn't move with the excess water streaming everywhere in the bathtub, and NO EMERGENCY CALL BUTTON. I tried kicking the wall yelling for assistance, to no avail. So on my two subsequent cruises (Holland America) and Princess Cruise Lines I requested a verandah suite with a bathtub! Yes, I had to pay $800 extra just for the bathtub/shower combo. I do travel with my service dog who is trained to alert me prior to a multiple sclerosis episode. Holland America Zuiderdam had a special place for her potty area. I'm not sure what Princess Cruise Line Golden Princess is going to do for her potty area. They suggested just letting her potty on the verandah which I'm sure would make the guests below us extremely happy. Thank goodness my TA took the bull by the horns and went to the VP in charge and they have decided she could go potty on the astro turf by the spa and gym.
I can hardly wait to see other guests watch her potty. But I carry poopie sacks. We cruise Jan 3 2004 so I will report back so other people who may travel with service dogs can feel comfortable booking on Princess Cruise Lines. I'm not sure the cruise industry realizes that those of us with disabilities have disposable income and cruise every year - they should open up more handicap staterooms. Off my soapbox now.