View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Betsy Cameron

Default Re: Stop ABs booking disabled cabins

I have Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, which is a form of muscular dystrophy. I often trip, fall down, sprain my ankles, dislocate my knees, get really weak, etc. Because of this, I thought it might be a good idea to have an accessible cabin for the extra bars/rails in the bathroom. Our last cruise on Carnival's Paradise was rather rocky with some big waves. I have enough trouble walking over flat ground without hurting myself, let alone keeping steady with a ship's movement. It doesn't take much for me to slip in the shower or lose my balance. I have booked a category D1 stateroom on Enchantment of the Seas and was asked for a doctor's statement to fax to RCCL. Not a problem, I called my neurologist and they faxed me the necessary statement.

As someone who has good days and bad days with CMT, I respect others who utilize accessible facilities. I have a placard for my car, as I'm scared to death to walk across an icy parking lot when it's wintertime. I don't abuse it. Just because you can't see an obvious disability doesn't mean that someone else is cheating the system or that someone else is "scum." I think it's wrong for someone to judge another's condition without knowing the full story.

I agree that the cruise lines should make the rest of the staterooms more accessible in general so the wheelchair accessible staterooms are available for those who need those types of accommodations.

Of course, if RCCL contacted me and asked me to give up the stateroom for someone needing it more than me, I would be more than happy to do that.

Just my opinion.