View Single Post
Old August 10th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Myles

Default Re: Read our Editorial on Cruise Ship Entertainment

That's a pretty critical article and I think the expectations are a little overblown. I'll address them point by point from my perspective. On originality, you are correct in that there are some similarities in the shows formats, but the same thing is true on Broadway and the Vegas strip for $$$ a seat. And as for the young people, don't even waste your time. They'll be in one of the dance clubs or lounges. And hey, don't look now, but reviews are alive and well in Paris, Vegas and New York and probably elsewhere. As far as medleys are concerned, they work pretty well within the time restraints. If you want to hear the full song, go to a concert and pay $$$ for a seat. As far as character development is concerned, go to a Broadway play for a four hour performance. I have other things to do on a cruise besides watching one show all night. As for talent, that's in the eyes of the beholder. Some acts are good and some aren't no matter where you are. Broadway shows sometimes close in a week at $$$ a seat. Authenticity; all these guys are the read thing whether you like them or not. You don't like every television show or movie you've watched, do you? I couldn't help but notice you didn't address the variety of entertainment. Was there too much variety for this negative dissertation? I also noticed you didn't mention the ship's orchestra. Aren't they worthy of mention in the entertainment genre? I'm disappointed that you would use your position for such a one-sided review. I'm also surprised that some of the respondents to your review are under the impression that entertainment headliners today cost $25.00 a seat.(add $100.00 or more) I guess they haven't been to Vegas lately. Welcome to the real world. Now the main point is that people don't book a cruise because of the entertainment. That's just another gimmick to pass the time. People cruise to go somewhere or to get away from somewhere. You might hear them say they booked because of the cuisine, the ambiance or the way they're treated on a particular cruiseline, but I doubt very seriously you'll ever hear someone say they booked a cruise on a ship because of the entertainment in the show lounge. I don't know any better way to say it, but there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Enjoy the rainbow!