View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Cruise Ship Singer

Default Re: Read our Editorial on Cruise Ship Entertainment

Alrighty, here we go...... I am one of the singers on a cruise ship that you have probably been on.......I have worked for Disney, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Line.......and soon, Celebrity.........First off, the Calibre of Talent........I have a pretty good background in musical theatre including many large shows and Broadway.........but to be honest with you, when you are on Broadway, not all the talent is "great" as well......whenever you join a cast, it's always a hit or miss as to whom you work with......... Oh, and many many Broadway performers have gone on cruise ships........not because we are not good enough to stay on Broadway........but where else can you work 3 days a week, and get paid to see the world............ so for that young performer thinking about auditioning for cruise ships.........do it........I have never seen so many countries in my life.......

The Shows can be a bit mediocre, but please do not blame the talent......we work with what we have, including 8 second quick changes.......much more difficult than any land show.........and it's not easy playing to drunk passengers, or during rough seas, or going on no matter how sick you happen to be.........but no matter what shows we are given, I know that my fellow performers and I put in 110%........we want to make the passengers happy, and work our butts off to attempt it...........

All I know is that cruise ship production shows are getting better........we are slowly getting paid more, which attracts more "broadway" talent...........and I know that I have never had to do any cruise staff duties.........so that's what makes me go back and sing my heart out to anybody who wants to listen........

cheers, happy cruising and hope to see y'all on board...........

Jay.... principal singer on Disney, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Line, and many more to come........